What exactly is the OMAD diet?
OMAD or One Meal A Day is a rigorous form of intermittent fasting. This eating regimen has always thrived unknowingly throughout the olden times. This form of fasting was basically followed by people who were either too poor to afford a three-time meal a day or manual labourers. The labourers had to work all day long. And in order to work all day, they would prefer having a hearty breakfast or lunch just to procure more time in work.
Until recently people realised that having three times meal a day is a better option.
The OMAD diet consists of fasting all day long and at the end of the day, you are allowed to eat whatever you want but in limited quantities. The actual eating regimen includes 23 hours of fasting and an hour of eating healthy. Also, known as the 23:1 diet. The easier version of this diet is the 16:8 diet, where a person fasts for 16 hours and is allowed to eat a regular meal at proper intervals for the within the 8 hours gap. The easier version is actually more popular among beginners and foodies all around the world.
Why do people follow it?
Even though the OMAD diet seems very difficult, people still follow it. There are many reasons as to why people stick to this eating regimen. Some of them are:
If you’re just eating one meal for each day, you’re likely to intake fewer calories than you regularly would. Lowering calorie intake, as a rule, results in weight reduction. Big scale studies have discovered that individuals who worked on fasting and individuals who reduced calorie admission in large quantities, lost a similar measure of weight.
It’s obvious to feel restless while going through the OMAD diet. Which could prompt gorging and tumbling off the wagon. Suppressing your hunger for longer periods regularly bring forth weight cycling and starts bringing changes to your appetite inducing hormones and digestion.
Eventually, you may feel hungrier after attempting the OMAD diet than you might’ve felt before you began this prohibitive arrangement. To settle on sustenance decisions that at last lead to better wellbeing and ensuing weight reduction, it’s not possible for a considerable lot of us to just confine nourishment completely for set timeframes. So it is not necessary for all of us to follow this type of diet.
The efficiency of focus levels and productivity
It often happens that our stomach isn’t able to digest our food properly. This is mainly because of the unhealthy diet that we follow. Also, overeating on a regular basis affects the stomach poorly as it slows down the digestion process.
Since our body isn’t able to digest the food. We aren’t able to get the energy that we deserve from it. This makes us feel even drowsier because of our poor digestion.
This sorely affects our productivity and we lose our focus in the process.
You can eat whatever you like
The OMAD diet lets you eat whatever you wish to. You can feast on the junk or still choose to eat healthily. Although you get the freedom to choose your diet, it doesn’t mean that you gorge on junk foods. If you eat too much fatty food it’ll affect your stomach and the OMAD diet will severely affect you.
Reduces the risk of getting sick
Controlling your diet helps regulate your body fluids. These regulations help to create balance in the body. This balance is essential for the body as it helps in strengthening the immune system and detoxifies you.
Disciplines your mind and body
Following a strict OMAD diet can help discipline your mind and body. Disciplining your mind and body helps in controlling your binge eating urges. Clears your mind and helps you achieve goals. Distractions are also avoided in the process.
Is following OMAD diet a good thing?
The thought behind intermittent fasting is that it gives your indispensable organs, stomach related hormones, and metabolic capacities time-off and diminishes oxidative weight on the body.
People believe that lessening pressure by means of fasting improves the capacity of your organ tissues, decreases aggravation, and brings down your hazard for the incessant diseases. It’s likewise attributed to diminishing vulnerability to insulin obstruction, which could bring down your hazard for diabetes.
In any case, there’s significant proof recommending that any advantage is rapidly fixed when you break the quick, causing the hunger suppressing hormones to shift gears and make you feel considerably hungrier than you felt at the pattern.
A genuine potential advantage of time-limited fasting is that it could enable you to head to sleep prior — an extremely significant segment to any weight reduction plan. Getting seven hours of rest for each night has been connected to weight the board, decreased danger of unending ailment, and improved metabolic advantages.
Some ill effects of following OMAD diet
- Missing out essential nutrients. It is not easy to incorporate all sorts of nutrients that are necessary for the body in one whole meal. So you really don’t have many options except for missing out a few important nutrients on a daily basis.
- You may not be able to control your appetite. Staying hungry all day takes it toll on your body eventually. You won’t be able to control your appetite when you are eating at times. So it won’t help you lose weight if you can’t handle your hunger.
- Can slow your metabolism
If you aren’t able to handle your appetite then you won’t be able to follow the diet. Not keeping up with the regimen will affect your body in a bad way. It’ll definitely slow down your digestion rate and drain all your energy.
- Chances of getting dehydrated are high. Generally when you keep on fasting your will to eat and drink anything diminishes. This way you are restricting your water consumption. Your carelessness towards your body will affect you adversely and may even cost you your life.
What can you eat during OMAD diet
Here are some things that you need to make sure while fasting:
- Avoid eating when you are fasting. Generally between the 16 hour and 23-hour gaps.
- Try including all the required nutrients in that one meal. This would help in keeping well nourished while your chances of getting sick are lowered.
- Avoid junk food, especially oily foods that can’t be easily digested and has no nutritional value.
- Since you’re restricting your food intake you should specifically take extra care and be concerned about what you are eating.
- Avoid foods that cause allergies, constipation or a bloated stomach. Try to keep yourself healthy as much as you can.
Things that you can eat:
- Foods that have good fats. Good quality fats are necessary for your hormones and metabolism. These fats wouldn’t cause bloating or make you fat. Things like eggs, fish, avocados, olives, olive oil, coconut oil can be added in your meal.
- Nuts and seeds can also be eaten in case you’re not sensitive to them. Simply ensure that you won’t begin eating carelessly. Eating an excessive amount of nuts since they are delicious and fun to eat.
- Some aged cheese and raw dairy can also be eaten. However, they may cause bloating and swelling whenever eaten too much.
- Protein-rich foods; It provides you with the basic amino acids, unsaturated fats, and different nutrients and minerals that are needed for ideal health.
- Meat, eggs, fish, chicken, pulses, cheese and some yogurt. There are so many foods that are protein rich. A large portion of the supplements your body needs originate from these sources and they ought to involve a huge extent of your supper.
- Carbohydrates; On the other hand, if you’re eating more carbs. The best carb sources are rich in digestible glucose which will replenish the body’s glycogen levels.
- For example, sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice, quinoa, carrots, beetroot, turnips are great suppliers of starch. Fruits are also a good choice. However, you should not be eating anything more than a couple of servings of fruits. Since too much fructose isn’t great for the body and it will be put away as fat.
OMAD diet has its pros and cons. Even though it helps in shaping up your body and gives your body hormones and organs a significant amount of rest. It would not be advisable for you to follow this strict diet for long periods of time.
People who can not follow this restrictive diet should not opt for it. Because if you aren’t able to bear the consequences then the impact of the results may affect you adversely.
If you are up for this challenge then start following the 16:8 diet regiment. Then gradually come to 23:1 diet. Make sure that you don’t become careless about your health in the process.
Following this diet comes with great responsibilities such as staying hydrated, eating the right choice of meal. Controlling your hunger and committing yourself to the diet regiment. Don’t ever try to eat anything between the 16 hours or 23 hours window, because if you do, then you’re not following the diet.
Avoid eating junk and try following a keto diet if possible. A keto diet basically consists of healthy fatty diets. Fats are easy to burn and give out more energy than carbs. You can even opt for a high-protein diet. Such as the Atkins diet.
You may follow whichever type of diet that you like but make sure that you at only one time of the day. The meal should be sufficient to satisfy your appetite while it shouldn’t be hindering the diet plan.